Thursday, August 25, 2005

Come On, Lighten Up

I have recently had the displeasure of making the acquaintance of a person who could find fault with perfection. My gosh, it is amazing to me how this person finds the crap in every silver lining. And yet she is so self-righteous, that if I wrote her as a character in a short-story every reader would say she was unrealistic...you would think I had made her too ridiculous in her holier-than-thou attitude.

I do not want to go into too much detail, as she would be able to identify herself in my prose. Although I doubt she would spend her time reading my blog (But if she did she would find all the typos and mis-spellings....which I know exist).

People like this make me wonder how someone gets by in the world seeing themselves as so perfect and the rest of us as so flawed? It must be very lonely.

Anytime I have an encounter with this person it makes me take stock of my own actions. I try to make sure I am not guilty of treating others in such a manner. I think it is good for all of us to have a little reality check up on occasion.

Take some time today to look for the good in your co-workers, your spouse, your children. Pay compliments to everyone you deal with today. Say nice things to strangers. Smile. See every glass as half-full....not half-empty. Even if you are busy, over worked, tired and just feel as if you are right and the rest of the world is wrong..... just decide to be gracious.

In the end, you will feel better. Why dwell over all the B.S.? Lighten up, even if just for today.

Your homework: Find five people to praise before you go to sleep tonight.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

Okay....I have to know, who is this? We haven't changed a HE to a SHE to protect the innocent have we? Come on be honest....you hate me don't you? I am the biggest downer that you have ever met in your life and you wished you had never met me.

Whew....now after saying that and knowing myself as well as I do, I can be certain that you could never feel that way about me! (SMILE!!!)

But perhaps you were just getting back at me for making fun of the picture you used for your blog. Now come on now, you have to admit that is either your high school senior picture or the picture you submitted for that new reality television program, "So You Want To Be The Next Ritchie Cunningham!" How did that audition with Joanie go by the way? Hope you remembered she was supposed to be playing your sister!

Remember to be criticized is to be liked. And if that's load of horse hockey then give me their address. I know some guys!