Monday, February 05, 2007

Surround Yourself With The Best People

The older I get, the more I appreciate the incredible people in my life.

I have been fortunate from a young age to have associated with those who inspire me to accomplish more than I ever could have alone. Many of my friends are dynamic entrepreneurs who have mastered life in ways that most people can only imagine. These folks are not only my friends, they are my role models.

I am still learning my way. Everyday I try to read something new, attempt tasks that had been out of my reach and search inside myself to discover more of my God-given abilities. I am a work in progress.

It is because I am surrounded by amazing people that I can continue to expand. I have come to know myself through those whom I interact and I have less fear of making mistakes because of the net of support that these people have underneath me as I walk on the tight-rope of life.

Look around at your friends. If you are the richest, smartest and most interesting in the group....then you need to get new friends!!!! You want to be in a crowd of peers who have accomplished things that you still dream about. Their success will light a fire inside you to do more with your life.

I believe that the best days of my life are in the future. I know this because I have great people in my life who also believe this to be true.

One the flip side....be sure that you are finding ways to help those in your circle whom can benefit from your experience, connections and advice. I got an email from a mentor of mine whom I had not seen in a while. She shared with me what is new in her life and then asked "And your number one challenge in 2007 is???". The implied part is that if she knows my challenge, maybe she can help me build a bridge to the other side. Do you know what help those around you could use? Ask!

Have A Great Day.

thom
thom@thomsinger.com

***Have you read my book, Some Assembly Required??? If you enjoy the blog, don't miss the book that started it all! Available at Amazon.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Thom, for posting this topic. I think it's all too easy to forget we didn't get to where we are solely by ourselves. I have recognized I have some pretty darn remarkable people in my adult life and am increasing my circle with new and interesting people.

I recently was asked to identify mentors or individuals who had contributed to my life.

At first, it was difficult--ok sure, parents, siblings--those are the easy ones. Soon I discovered that there were K-12 school teachers that instilled some pretty tangible stuff like creative thinking and public speaking into my adolescence. I really appreciate these people. I made sure the next time I saw them, I told them so! They still have tremendous insight/ideas! I'm so glad I reconnected!

shaune
shaune@breakfastclubnetwork.com

thomsinger said...

Shaune-

thanks for the comment. Reconnecting is a very important tool to expanding your network. And people from your past are almost always thrilled to hear from you...especially when you tell them how much you appreciate them!

thom