Monday, November 28, 2011

Ten Days of Thanksgiving (Day 5)

Thanksgiving and the focus we give to appreciation should be more than one day. Really, it should be everyday.

I am going to post about things I am thankful for each day for ten days to keep the feelings of gratitude going.

Day Five.

I am grateful for my health, and that of my family.  We recently lost a friend to a long battle with cancer and another died suddenly of a heart attack.  Many people do not think about such things until life and death issues hit close to home.

My modified vegan diet over the last nine months has taught me much about health.  While I have not kept totally vegan since the end of Lent (I was strict for nearly 2 months in February - April), I now eat about 70% less meat and 90% less dairy than I ate in the past. These choices also eliminate much of the junk food that crosses my path.  I also find when I do indulge in something with meat or dairy, I eat less than I would have a year ago.  Making the right dietary choices is not easy, but over the long haul I feel fantastic.

I am conscious that my health is a gift that I cannot take for granted, and I am enjoying this stage in my life, as I know as I get older there will be bumps in the road.  I try to get to the gym two or three days a week (I come up short here sometimes), and know that I must keep up the exercise along with the diet to prolong my health into the future.

Have A Great Day

thom singer

No comments: