Saturday, February 18, 2006

Weekend Blog #27 - Where's Waldo?

The Weekend Blog is my chance to write about any subject under the sun. I stray for the regular topics networking, business development, sales, marketing and PR. I hope you enjoy my occasional rants.

Weekend Blog # 27

In October of 2004 I attended my twentieth high school reunion in Southern California. I had been to the ten year reunion, and it was fun..... but the 20th was great. Having lived in Texas for 15 years, I have not had the opportunity to attend many events, and thus lost touch with most friends from high school.

I went to school in the same city from kindergarten until 12th grade, and I had known many of my classmates since I was five years old. Others I had met in junior high or high school, but along the way I was fortunate to have known some really cool people. After all this time, they were still wonderful individuals.

The night before the reunion my core group of friends from two decades earlier went out to dinner. About 12 people (plus some spouses) had a wonderful time together, and it was as if time had stood still.

Following the reunion many of the group has kept in touch by email. Recently one person started an email chain asking about whatever happened to our old friends Tim and Todd Williams, identical twins whom had gone to school with us from 2nd grade thru 10th grade. Our sophomore year their parents moved them to a small town in Nevada. POOF...one day they were just gone. Within a few years everyone had lost touch with them, although they had been part of the group the whole time we were kids.

Thus in the day of the internet we all began to search for them. We identified an address of a Tim Williams who just might be one of the twins (he lives in the small town they relocated to in 1982). A birthday card was mailed (If it is the right Tim Williams, he would have turned forty this week) to him with all our names and email addresses.

Looking for these guys is like looking for Waldo in one of those kids books. The names "Tim Williams" or "Todd Williams" are just too common, and with nearly twenty years gone by, they could be anywhere.

But it has been fun to have a group of seven old friends in search of their lost pals. (Think "The Big Chill" without the funeral, via email and without the great soundtrack). We don't know if we will find them (or if they will even care that we were looking!!!). Hopefully we will know soon.

How about you? Have you ever lost an old friend who was a very important part of your life once? Why not find them? Reach out and reconnect.

Have A Great Weekend.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Steve Harper said...

Cool blog post! If it is like the Big Chill, which character are you? My money is on the JoBeth Williams character. Just kidding! Cool post. Good luck finding the Waldo brothers!