Sunday, October 07, 2012

Beach Boys in Austin



I grew up in Southern California and with three much older brothers, and many family trips to the beach, I was indoctrinated to the surf sounds of The Beach Boys early in life.  Cars, girls and surfing made up the themes of all their music, but in a simpler time that was all anyone needed to sing about.

In the 1980s, while I was in high school and college, the Beach Boys began to make a comeback, and thus there were ample opportunities to see the band play live in concert.  I am fairly sure the first concert I ever attended was the Beach Boys at Irvine Meadows, and while an hour from my home, it seemed that half my high school was in attendance.

Their music was considered "oldies" in the 1980's, and while we liked to band, they seemed ancient.  Well some things never change (Mike Love is now 71 years old).  They are now 30 years older, and yet they still bring Fun, Fun, Fun to an audience. 

Over time I have seen the band play about a dozen times.  Though before last night it had been since 1994 that I had last seen them play.  When I heard they would be in Austin, I wanted to go.  However, my wife is not a fan of the So-Cal beach band (she grew up in No-Cal... and let's just say the Beach Boys do not resonate the same with the Bay Area natives) and she had no desire to attend this performance.  She saw them with me once in 1994, and apparently that was enough.

But my 15-year-old daughter was happy to accompany dad to the show (she is used to my listening to the Beach Boys in the car when her mom is not with us).  It was even better when she learned their sometimes drummer, John Stamos (better known as "Uncle Jesse" from the TV show Full House), would be playing with the band for their Austin show.

We had a great time.  I appreciate that the Beach Boys understand the one rule of a nostalgia band: "Play your famous songs".  They realize that is why people come, and they limit most of their set to the songs that made them famous.

The only downside to the night was the temperatures dropped well below 60 degrees during the concert.  As a So-Cal kid at heart, I am not really comfortable with weather outside of the eighties.  57 degrees is not quite Beach Boy weather.... and as much as I hated the cold, it was clear the band was also not accustomed to the chilly temps.

Yet a little cold weather would not spoil the night... plenty of Good Vibrations to warm the heart! (sorry, I couldn't resist!).

Have A Great Day.

thom singer.



No comments: