Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More About Your 2007 Goals


It is Tuesday, January 16th.

Two weeks of 2007 are now gone. Poof! That was fast. Too fast. And it is just foreshadowing of what is to come. The whole year is going to fly past.

Have you spent any time in the new year really thinking about what you want to accomplish this year? 2007 has more promise to have amazing things happen in your life than 2006. You know why? Because 2006 is over. But you have to take action now, or for the calendar waits for nobody.

Most people I know do not set out and write down their goals. I don't know why, but they do not do it. I wish they would. Having a plan is a proven way to achievement.

Think for a minute about a start-up company that is looking for venture capital funding. Will the VC's lend millions of dollars to an entrepreneur who has an idea and no business plan? Although in 1999 it seemed that way, the answer is "No". The money folks want to see what the goals are for the business and what steps will be taken to reach success. A good investor wants to look toward the future accomplishments.

This does not mean that a business plan is set in stone. Most companies vary greatly from their plans, as planning and doing are two different things. But to not have any plan is a one-way ticket to nowhere.

Yet in life most folks just sit back and wait for success. They go to work and hope things will go well. Sometimes good things happen...sometimes bad things happen. Most of the time they are just lost in limbo.

If you are reading this blog, and have got to this point in this post without clicking away, then you obviously want to do more with 2007. There might be a nagging feeling in you that knows you can accomplish something bigger. Well then, take action.

Start small. Take out a piece of paper and write down five to ten things you want to do in 2007. They do not have to major life changing goals, but should be things that take effort. They need not all be business related, there can be (and should be) some "just for fun" items that will inspire you.

You may not achieve all of them during the year, but if you refer back to the list regularly you will be more motivated than otherwise.

Here is a sample of items on my 2007 goal list.

1. Read 25 books in 2007

2. Test drive a new BMW

3. Give 22 speeches in 2007

4. Take the family camping

5. Appear on a television program to promote my new book

6. Run two 5K races in 2007

7. Speak to a conference with more that 1000people in the audience

8. Double my blog readership

I have 30 items on my list for the year. These include goals for my job, my book, my speaking, my family, and just some random fun stuff. I know from experience that I will complete about 25 of these. If I did not write them down I would probably get to few of them. Out of sight is out of mind.

Writing your goals on paper and reading them daily is an amazing form of motivation.

If you have never done this in the past, try it in 2007. Even if you are skeptical, you can be sure it wont hurt you! It just might help you be more productive. Come on...what could be stopping you? Just do it.

Have A Great Day.

thom
thom@thomsinger.com

HEY, you want to help me with the above mentioned goal "number eight"? If you are a regular reader of this blog...then tell your friends to read it too. It will give you some interesting topics to discuss and it will help me expand the readership!

And goal "number three"...if your company or business organization needs a keynote speaker for a meeting, give me a call.

1 comment:

Carlon Haas said...

Great post, Thom. Writing down your goals is very important when focusing. But you're right. It's the taking action part that's difficult.

One thing that really helped me was developing a "no excuses" mentality that started holding myself accountable for my own goals.

I'll do what I can to help your goal #8...your blog is well worth the read.