Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Concentrate


Distractions are everywhere.

No matter what I try to accomplish, there are always other things that pop up and block my path to success or knock me off course. Sometimes I can overcome these distractions, but other times they keep me from reaching my target goals.

Concentration is necessary to achieve success. You have to learn to ignore the cell phone, email, the Blackberry, the internet, television, radio, the iPod, and all the other "tools" that deliver information to us everyday. All the electronic devices that have entered out lives in the past few decades were designed to make us more productive,.... but they have the opposite effect if not kept in check.

Different people have different ways to make sure that they concentrate on the tasks at hand. Some are fortunate to have the natural ability to focus. I am not one of those people. I need to turn off the email alert ("ding") on my computer, close my office door, and let the phone go to voicemail when I am working on a project. I keep the radio off, and limit my internet research to just a few times a day. I am easily distracted and find that a co-worker stopping by can lead to a thirty minute chat about anything, .... derailing my work.

However, when I can work without distractions I can accomplish amazing results. When I enter "the zone of productivity" I have fun. Even if the task is making cold-calls (does anyone LIKE doing that?) I am enjoying my job.

Look around at the people you admire in your industry. Those who are at the top of the success ladder will often have superior concentration abilities, or have a great administrative assistant who can compensate for their scatter-brained tendencies. If you do not have either, then learn how to concentrate on the current project and do not let yourself become distracted.

Concentrate!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
thom@thomsinger.com
www.thomsinger.com

****PS- Are you organizing a 2007 planning session for your company, law firm or professional association? My 90-minute seminar, "Some Assembly Required: How to Make, Grow and Keep Your Business Relationships" is a dynamic, interactive course on developing your business / social / professional network and is guaranteed to foster discussion and inspire your team. Contact me for more information (512)970-0398 or thom@thomsinger.com. Speaker's Bureaus are encouraged to call, as I am happy to work with professional bureaus and agents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meditation is a very good activity for a better mind.