Friday, June 05, 2015

10 Tips for High School Graduates



This week my oldest daughter, my only niece and two nephews all graduate from high school.  Wow, that is a big week for our family.  It has caused me to look back to my own graduation from high school 31 years ago.  Wow, time files.  I do not think 31 years ago I had a clue, but it has been a good journey.


Along the way I have made good choices and some not as good choices.  I have failed to be my best self on occasion, but I have also done some things right.  When I look at what is important I am very clear that what matters most is relationships.  All opportunities come from people, and how we treat others makes a difference on their lives and our own.  It is not about our intentions, but instead about our actions.

I woke up today (the day of my own kid's graduation) and I was wondering what advice I could share with Jackie, Summer, Scott and Bobby (not that 18-year-olds want advice from their dad or uncle).  They did not ask for this advice, and the list is not 100% comprehensive, but I believe anyone who consistently does this will find more success and happiness as they live out their time on this planet.

Here are the ten things I suggest.  They wont do them all the time, as I didn't either, but I share the ideas just the same.  Life is a long journey, and I have found that even the best advice may take a lifetime to learn, understand and implement.

Ten Tips for High School Graduates

  1. Have consistency of self: personally, professionally and spiritually.
  2. Be slow to anger and fast to forgive.
  3. Treat everyone with respect and be nice to those you encounter.
  4. Take an interest in what matters and is important to others.
  5. Find solutions, do not just point out problems.
  6. Do not gossip or say bad stuff about others.
  7. Have fun, and help the people around you have more fun.
  8. Say "Thank You" to those who help you or otherwise have an impact on your life.
  9. Celebrate the success of friends and colleagues (don't let envy or jealousy hold you back).
  10. Bounce back quickly from mistakes, stumbles, and failures (forgive yourself).
  11. Always deliver more than you promised.
The legendary Zig Ziglar said it best:

"You can have everything in life you want if you just help enough other people get what they want"

Congratulations to the graduates of the Class of 2015, especially these four amazing people who I love and respect so much.

Have A Great Day

thom singer

No comments: