Friday, June 28, 2013

Cool Things My Friends Do: Ken Harris Rides His Bike 3872 Miles To Raise Money for Parkinson's Research

Each Friday on this blog I enjoy highlighting some of the cool things my friends do in their personal and professional lives.



My friend Ken Harris is currently on a cross country 52-Day bike ride from San Francisco, CA to Portsmouth, NH. Oh, did I mention he is 70 years old? Yeah, I am lucky to run a 5K once a year, and Ken is peddling across the whole United States (3872 Miles) in less than 2 months.

This has been on his bucket list for many years. He is always on the go with some activity....He travels the world, skis, camps, hikes, and does all sorts of activities to keep very young at heart. When the opportunity came up to do this ride he decided to go for it. It has been great fun to follow his adventure on Facebook and on the blog of his fellow rider John Aylward.

Today was Day 27 and they are currently in Kansas.

Part of his journey is to raise money for the Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson's Disease. Both his mother and brother are afflicted with Parkinson's and this is a cause that matters to Ken's family. He has currently raised $4470.00, on a goal of $5000.00 (soooo close!! - jump over and make a small donation if you feel so inspired).

I look forward to hearing all about Ken's adventure when he gets back to Austin in August. In the meantime... Happy peddling.

Have A Great Day

thom singer

1 comment:

Ken Harris said...

Thanks so very very much, Thom!! I sincerely appreciate the good words and support. --- Ken