Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Little Piece of Family History


I do not come from a family that spent much time on our own history.  Some people can trace themselves back to presidents, Pilgrims, kings, and criminals.  We were just good hard working folks.

My father's mother came from a family that owned a furniture factory in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  In its day the H Lauter Company was a booming employer in Indianapolis.  My grandfather had worked for the company as a salesman, and later married the bosses daughter. The company was lost during the Great Depression.


My grandparents had left Indy for California around 1910 and my father had not kept in touch with his cousins in the Midwest, and thus there was little ever told to me about this family business.


On a recent business trip to Indiana I had the chance to visit the factory building, which still stands today.  Today it has been renovated and turned into condos and lofts;  The H Lauter Lofts and the Harding Street Lofts.


It was very cool to see how the developers have saved much of the original character of the buildings while creating an inviting environment for the two residential buildings.


I enjoyed my visit.  While my grandparents passed away long before I was born... it was special to touch this piece of family history.


Have A Great Day.


thom singer

No comments: