Friday, March 31, 2006

Remember: The Turtle Won!!!

Yesterday I met a nice guy who was actively trying to build a network of professional contacts. This guy was a professional who knew his industry and had realized that to advance in his firm he would need to be a "rainmaker" and bring in his own clients. He was excited about building a book of business, but wanted to find a way to get fast results.

There are no quick fixes to building a network and turning those connections into real business opportunities.

We all remember the story of the Tortoise and the Hair. Slow and steady wins the race.

No matter what your career goals, you will most likely not achieve them as fast as you would like. Most overnight successes spent years doing the necessary basics, which set them up for great achievements. When they finally are on "top"....others will refer to them as "lucky" or "fortunate". In most cases they were neither. In most cases they made good choices along the way and just kept inching along toward their goals.

Successful professionals still have many days where they feel they are stuck in a rut or just not achieving. Everyone has bad days. But the best of us get past these "feelings" and just get back to work.

I had one of those days last week. I was trying to set up some sales appointments and just not having any luck. It "felt" useless. I struggled. I considered going home early. Like the turtle racing the rabbit...I want results fast and I want victory to come easily. Instead I decided to make five more calls. Like the turtle, I just moved forward one step at a time. On the third call I set an appointment with a great prospect. If I had stopped, I may have never made that connection.

How about you? What could you do right now to help advance you cause. Close the internet and go do it right now.

Good Luck!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: