Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Einstein At McDonald's

I was recently on a conference call with a group of people from around the country when a woman named "Martha" spoke of her own quest to reach her potential. She said that she felt like "Einstein working at McDonald's". I really enjoyed this word picture, as it summed up how many people feel in their careers.

We all want to live up to our God-given potential. I believe that any person can achieve more in their career, but that we often get stuck in the rut of mediocrity. If Albert Einstein had managed a fast food restaurant, I am sure it would have been a fine franchise, but he might have missed living up to his potential (that little E=MC2 thing).

What is it that you are called to do? What is that one thing that you feel would impact the world with your input? If you wake up everyday and never question your place in the world, then you will continue along the path that you are on.

However, if you feel like you could be contributing more and reaching higher levels of success, then you owe it to yourself (and the rest of the planet) to discover your calling and go for it.

Results will not happen over night, but everyday you must do something to open yourself up to the opportunity that is out there.

I know, I am right there reaching for success. Yes, I have achieved some of what I desire, and many might ask why I continue to quest for more. My belief is that as long as we are breathing, all people have un-tapped potential. It is a journey.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

***Thank you for reading The Some Assembly Requried Blog. More information is available at www.thomsinger.com. Also, if you have not yet purchased a copy of my book, please go to Amazon.com. If you liked the book, I would appreciate it if you would tell a friend, and feel free to post a review at Amazon.com.

1 comment:

Harwick Family said...

Tom,

Enjoyed this post. Not sure of Martha's age, but I have encountered a number of friends at nor near 40 that begin to realize their careers need a jolt. What I have found, however, is that most folks have difficulty in bringing their desires in a career in alignment with action. Too often I hear that the reasons are they have built their lifestyle around a salary that they are trying to preserve. This priority conflict limits one's ability to take needed action. Aristotle said "Where your talents and the needs of the world cross, their lies your vocation." Aligning what we enjoy and are good at doing with the needs of the world can be a challenge when the salary becomes the priority.