Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Don't Lock The Doors, Even Though You Can


If 7-11 is open 24-hours a day, why do they have locks on the doors?

Some might think they could have saved millions of dollars if they had not installed locks in the first place. But life is full of choices. We are all have God given talents, and the choice is ours on if we open them up to the world or lock them down. We all come with locks, even if we do not plan to use them. So does a 7-11 franchise.

Locks on door remind me of goals:

Many might look at your really huge desires (goals) and view them as impossible to obtain.....therefore think that having such goals are as useless as the locks on a 7-11. But by not having goals you would shackle your future in the present.

People who have clear goals are those who achieve greatness. They do not allow others to discredit their vision of the future. They do not see dreaming of more to be a waste of time. These people know that there is a time and a place for everything, and while results are sometimes years away, they understand that the only way to get there is to keep moving forward....no matter how large the obstacle.

Instead of focusing on the locks on the door, we should focus on the fact that in life we have access to Slupees 24-hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year (metaphorially). We need to reach for greatness and never give up. Ahhhhh, what potential we each have inside us.

Carpe Slupus. Seize the Slupee.

Have A Great Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thom,

Thanks for another great pep talk! I need those daily; whether from myself or listening or reading them.

I would add that those goals need specific strategies and tactics. A goal is an objective; "My Goal is to send out 250 prospectuses on our next private equity offering." To do that I need to add 100 incremental Grade 'B' or better prospects to my database. And to do that I need to...And so on. A goal is supported by strategy, which is executed by tactics. Today, this week, this month; get granular! I never want to be sitting at my desk thinking: "what am I going to do right now?"

my 2 cents.