Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What Message In A Shortcut?

I have been asked a lot about sending cards and thank you notes via online services that print the card and mail it out via the US Postal Service.

Those sending cards via these shortcuts get very excited that they are sending a personal touch in the physical world, but is it equal to a handwritten note?

Using a "short cut" is better than not sending a card.  However, the person getting the card knows when you hand wrote it yourself or used a service (even if it looks like hand writing).  Therefore, it is not equal.

I suggest we all think about the message we send when we do things part way:
 "Thank you, but not thank you enough for me to take the time to write this myself". 
Sending an email as a "thank you".... it is a good thing, but not as powerful as the real handwritten note.  I am NOT saying it is bad.... but people know the difference. The same is true of these online or mobile phone services. Too few people say "thank you" at all... so a service is a good option if you will never hand write the note..... but I say you should pen the note by hand.

What do you think?

Have A Great Day!

thom singer


2 comments:

Professional Speaker said...

As you said, sending a note is better that not sending one. But it's always better to do it yourself and show you really share. :)

Jason Alba - CEO - JibberJobber.com said...

I've thought a lot about this as I've been approached by about 4 dozen Send Out Card reps, wanting to integrate into JibberJobber.com.

I agree with your assessment... here's my current position: It's better than not sending anything at all. Considering what it takes to get a card in the mail (get the card, write it, address the envelope, find a stamp, walk to the mail box, etc.), and how many cards we DON'T send, I think we are all (mostly all) failing with this stuff...

I'd rather get a nice Send Out Card with a real, genuine message than get nothing at all. So, maybe the message trumps the medium?