Saturday, December 17, 2011

Being A Better Person in 2012

The idea of a new year -- a fresh start -- always appeals to me.  I have been an avid goal setter for many years.  Some years have been successful, while others have come up short.  Even when I fail to reach my targets, I still believe I have learned and grown.

In 2012 I want to be a better person.  A better husband, father, brother, uncle, brother-in-law, son, friend, vendor, teacher, customer, neighbor, writer, speaker, listener, citizen, etc....

This is a very vague desire and each of those things are hard to quantify.  I do not feel I am awful in these areas, but I often teach others that if you are not moving forward you might be slipping behind.  Stagnant is never good.

We humans are quick to be critical of others, but slow to examine our own short comings.  I do not like to face my demons (we all have them), but I am going to do that in 2012.  There will be no pie charts or graphs to know if I am succeeding, but I will be trying every single day.

Who else wants to play the "be a better person game"?..... Let's talk.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer


2 comments:

Artie Gold said...

You suck.

OK. That's too harsh. But still...

There are all these things you haven't figured our yet. All these mistakes you make, many more than once.

Even things you *have* figured out should never have taken so long, nor taken so much damn effort. I mean, really, how complicated could it have been?

And about this damn sleeping thing? What's *that* about? Obviously a waste of time...

Every day I remind myself that this is nothing but a journey with an ever shifting destination, one always hidden. If we don't get there today --,and we almost certainly won't -- we can try again tomorrow; no doubt it will shift its location, if only by a little bit.

Aspire. Yes. Always aspire. Continually aspire. Review, but move forward. And if, when you find yourself on a ride that might be a final one, your first impulse is to smile upon yourself, you have succeeded.

Now go do a little better. I could say something about works in progress, about how there remains some need to put things together, but the particular phrase eludes me at the moment for some reason.

Anonymous said...

This post is worth reading because we can all improve. It is common to share (gossip) about others, but to do so about yourself is above and beyond. Socrates said something about a life worth living should be examined.