Thursday, December 01, 2011

Ten Days of Thanksgiving (Day 8)



Thanksgiving and the focus we give to appreciation should be more than one day. Really, it should be everyday.

I am going to post about things I am thankful for each day for ten days to keep the feelings of gratitude going.

Day Eight.

The experiences we have throughout our lives deeply shape who we become. I am thankful for all the experiences, good and bad, that have allowed me to get to this spot today.

As I thought about the power of experiences the big ones in my life came to mind:

*Getting married

*Having children

*Traveling

*An auto accident

*Writing my first book (and then eight others)

*The highs and low of a lifetime of working / career

*My mother's death

*Appearing on two game shows

*Buying a house

*Kate's surgery

*High school and college

*etc....

I could write volumes about how these major experiences have impacted me. I am grateful to have lived through my own life and would not be silly enough to desire to trade places with any other person.

However it is not just the milestone experiences that are important. The small things also matter. A smile from you spouse, a giggle from your kids, approval from your parents / siblings, sharing a beer with a friend and hearing about their life, a chance meeting with someone who becomes a mentor, and countless other things that may otherwise go unnoticed. They all matter.

I appreciate those things that I know I am too busy to notice.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer


No comments: