Monday, May 11, 2009

Congratulations Lee Leffingwell - Next Mayor of Austin, Texas

While I was in support of Brewster McCracken for mayor of Austin, I would like to congratulate Lee Leffingwell on his victory.

McCracken announced, by email, earlier today that he would not be challenging Leffingwell to a run-off election (Since no candidate received 50% of the votes, a run-off between the top two would have been the next step). While only 13% of the voters showed up for the local election, Leffingwell had a 47% lead over 27% for Brewster. Success for McCracken in a run-off election would have been a difficult and costly undertaking. Even less people would have come out for yet another trip to the polls, and those would have been more of the "traditional voters" who overwhelmingly supported Leffingwell.

I am a believer that when an election ends, citizens must show support to the victor. This is how a democracy works, and to go with anything other than a hope for a united future undermines the whole process. The culture of hate and distrust that permeates politics is one of the reason that everyone stays away for politics in the first place.

I am disappointed in the fact that Austin, like most other cities, has such little participation when it comes to choosing our leaders. Our future is left in the hands of "the usual suspects" who are known to go to the polls. We need to do something to change this or we all lose.

From a city like Austin, Texas I expect more than apathy from the citizens.

Lee Leffingwell is a good man (I have never met him, but have friends who do know him) who will work hard for the success of Austin. I wish him well in his tenure as mayor and I will continue to do everything in my power to support the City of Austin.

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Alan M. Feldstein said...

"I am disappointed in the fact that Austin, like most other cities, has such little participation when it comes to choosing our leaders."

I'd be a little more direct than that. I'm disappointed in the people who didn't vote, all 87% of them. Those people are a disappointment. Furthermore, I call their patriotism into question.

Nevertheless, to the disappointing majority I say, thank you for staying away from the polls. By doing so you have given my vote more weight; you have given me more power. Keep doing what you're doing. When Alan Feldstein has more power, the world is a better place.

Alan M. Feldstein