Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving Memory

I enjoy Thanksgiving. I remember being just a lad and my mother would host some extended family for turkey and all the trimmings.

My dad was in charge of carving the bird. I did not inherit his skill, as I tend to mutilate the poor turkey each time I carve.

My grandmother would come. For grace we would all stand and take turns saying something we were thankful for in the past year. The rule was that you could be simple, detailed or even funny, but you had to have something serious for which you would share your thanks. You could not pass or make a joke for the sake of being a cut up.

Grandma, who died in the spring of my first grade year, would always go last (respect to the elder matriarch). She would list her ten children, twenty-six grandchildren (not one-by-one!) and then wrap up the circle of thanks by adding that she was thankful she was the last person in the line....as the food was getting cold!

Every year it made me laugh. Still does for some silly reason.

As we close in on this holiday of the grateful, I hope that everyone can take a moment to look to discover what has made their year just a little brighter. Even in the tough economic climate there are the things that can make our hearts smile.

I could list my things here, but it would fill the page. I am very fortunate and I know it. Thanks to everyone who has touched my life in the past, present and future.

**************************

I also have been investing a lot of thought into my annual "Praise Others Project". Each December I dedicate this blog to praising those I admire. Authors, blogger, speakers, entrepreneurs, friends, etc....

This year I am going to praise the entrepreneurial spirit that is so visible in Austin, Texas. Each day I will write about a person, company, organization or movement that has that spark that creates business. I hope it will be a fun exercise and that you will come and read the daily entries and share them with others.

Have A Great Day.

thom

No comments: