Monday, November 03, 2008

The End Comes To The Long Campaign

For what seems like an eternity in the United States we have been focused on the 2008 Presidential Election.

Tomorrow it all comes to an end.

Yesterday I drafted a long post for my blog about what I learned from being an "undecided voter" for the first time in my life. The experience forever changed how I view politics and my own beliefs. It also changed how I see others who passionately support their cause.

I admire people who are inspired in their soul. We all long to feel so deeply.

However, I am disgusted on many levels in regards to how partisanship trumps citizenship in our culture. The post was long, sad, and probably "holier-than-though" with my extreme centrist ideas. It would have offended people I love and admire who are on both sides of this passsionately charged political isle. I deleted the post, as I never mean to offend anyone with my thoughts on this blog.

I had wanted this campaign to be different. I expected something amazing an unique from Barak Obama and John McCain - two men who I believe both have honor and character. In the end, the campaign was not as much about issues and ideologies as it was about the same old stuff that makes politics yucky to many people. Presidential politics is not about the candidates in as much as it is about the "party machines". The power runs much deeper.

I voted for one of them (Texas has early voting, so I cast my ballot last week). I think they both had different strengths that could be applied to our country at this critical time. They also both had weaknesses and baggage. Alas, they are both human beings, who while flawed, want to lead our country to a better tomorrow. Neither man is the devil, and we can rest assured that we will have a strong system designed over 200 years ago that will continue to serve us well.

I am excited about the predictions for the extremely high voter turn out. I have always been upset with our country's low participation in things this important. I hope that the numbers are even bigger than are being suggested. Come on people....VOTE.

Whomever wins, I hope we all wake up on Wednesday and support our new President-Elect! No nasty divisive words after the votes are cast. Instead we must find unity!

Have A Great Day.

thom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. I am an independent who often tires of the negative side of those who are passionate about "their" sides, and have remained undecided throughout this campaign. And though I have voted already too, for the first time, I'm so happy to feel that we all stand of good chance of winning this time around--no matter who wins.