Monday, April 24, 2006

The ABC's of Networking: J is for the Journey

We often forget that our career is not just about getting to some ending point. Too often I find myself looking forward at achievements I want to have in the future, and I forget to enjoy the tasks at hand.

After a speech I gave recently someone came up and followed up about a specific comment that I had made during the presentation. I had said that "those who develop the best networks (those who actually get referrals and other huge business opportunities) spent years...often more than ten years, cultivating the relationships that made up their network of professional contacts." The man said "But I am fifty-years-old. I have never worried about networking, but am now learning it is helpful to have strong business contacts. If what you say is true, then I will be sixty before I see the benefits?". I told him that in ten years he will be sixty either whether he builds a network or not!!!

While it might take ten years to grow a huge network, along the way he will make many valuable connections. He should not be focusing on the destination, but rather on the journey.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: