Friday, July 19, 2013

Cool Things My Friends Do - Kate Celebrates National Ice Cream Month

Each Friday on this blog I enjoy highlighting some of the cool things my friends do in their personal and professional lives.

(Last week I highlighted my eldest daughter in the "Cool Things My Friends Do" post, and so this week the younger kid is the star of the show!)


Today is National Ice Cream Day.  Yes, there is a day for everything.  Some of these honored topics are lame, but... National Ice Cream Day is a great idea.  This is a reason to celebrate in our family (we like us some ice cream, frozen yogurt, or gelato).

My friend Leslie recently blogged a challenge to her readers to try a new flavor of ice cream each day in July to celebrate the month long celebration for this cold delicious treat.  Her blog post was addressed directly to my youngest daughter (true... her post beings "Dear Kate"), who from the age of three has had the odd habit of always trying new flavors when ordering ice cream.  

(I was not a fan of the kids having dessert every day for a month, so my family pledged an every-other day commitment to sample new flavors in July).

When Kate was a toddler it was fascinating to see her look past the chocolate or vanilla and seek out the most bizarre choices.  Sometimes she liked them, others not so much, but Kate has always wanted to try something different and has a brave side to her that is willing to experiment.  Never the same ice cream twice was her early motto.

Some kids always choose Cookies and Cream... but this kid seeks out variety.  She is even willing to try the taster spoon of flavors other 11-year-olds would never sample.  Yes, this included a recent sample of "Roasted Beet and Fresh Mint Ice Cream" (although not what she selected for her cone!).

Nowadays she does have some favorites, but she still interested in what else is out there.

So far this month she has sampled ten (taster spoons, but some get selected for the full serving):
  • Amaretto
  • Roasted Beet and Fresh Mint
  • Rainbow Cream
  • Caramel Corn
  • Dill Pickle (this was actually a snow cone, not ice cream)
  • Goat Cheese Thyme and Honey
  • Fried Chicken with Waffles
  • Butter Beer
  • Peanut Butter
  • Double Dark Chocolate
And there are still 12 days to go in July.  I am surprised by the concoctions that ice cream parlors dream up, but it has been fun to seek out the weird ones.  

I admire the adventurous spirit that is present in Kate.  I hope that her willingness to try new things stays with her throughout her life, as there are so many cool things out there that she can experience.  I see great success ahead for a kid who will try "beet" flavored ice cream.

Have A Great Day

thom singer




No comments: