Sunday, April 20, 2008

Figuring Things Out - Part One

I think that many people are striving to figure out their purpose in life. I know I am always looking for more meaning to my daily activities. With all of the pressures of career, family, community, etc... it is easy to get lost in the day to day routine while missing out on smelling the flowers along the way.

The materialism of our society tends to trap people in the cycle of money and things. Houses, cars, clothes, trips, careers, the latest electronic gadgets and the rest are a seductive draw that are nearly impossible to avoid.

I do not have a desire to sell my house and live in a tent and this post is not about renouncing monetary goals. It is just the opposite. It is part of figuring out ones path to know yourself, your dreams and your own desires. Money cannot buy happiness, but it can provide freedom and opportunity.

Many years ago when I was in my early twenties I had run up a large amounts of credit card debt. When my wife and I realized the amount I owed it was stifling. It hurt. It felt as though we were in a cage. Together we restructured our budget and worked hard to eliminate the plastic handcuffs of over use of credit. Since that time we have only spent within our means. Sure, there are things we want, but having those "toys" do not provide freedom.

I am discovering that freedom is the true currency. Having the freedom to discover "self" is the key to experiencing life. With freedom comes confidence....and I know personally that when I am confident I feel as though I am on top of a mountain over looking an unlimited and amazing view. It is as if I am an eagle soaring high over the landscape.

Entrepreneurs live this mindset. Those who can see every situation as just another opportunity have the freedom to excel. I admire those who start and grow businesses and can create income from where there was nothing. The real artists who can face any problem and find an opportunity. Lemonade from lemons.

Does one have to be born with such traits or can they be learned? I think you can learn to be entrepreneurial, but you need to be open to change and growth.... for both you and your company. I see it around me all the time. Many of my friends who own businesses struggle with a variety of issues, but they are nimble and can reassess their environment quickly. Even those who resist change, know that success requires flexibility.

To figure things out one must be open to exploration.

Have A Great Day.

thom
www.thomsinger.com

No comments: