To reach your goals takes risk. In order to attempt to meet a big goal you leave yourself open challenges, pitfalls, ridicule, struggles, rejection, exhaustion, failure, confusion, self-doubt and all sorts of other negatives. However, without taking the risk, you would never reach the prize of attaining whatever you dream.
I am a bit risk averse. I do not have that "go for it at all cost" gene that so many entrepreneurs seem to possess. And yet, I must have some of it, because everyday I get out of bed and strive to accomplish more with my life than I have done in the past. I am amazed at those I know who do not desire more than their current lot in life.
Success is subjective, and what I am trying to achieve may seem like useless fodder to others. However, it is joyful to have goals. My friend Chad Goldwasser is already one of the top real estate agents in the United States (heck, in the world), but he is constantly setting stretch goals for his company....and meeting them! I had breakfast with him today and our conversation centered on the risk and rewards of going for your dreams. He so clearly sees the direction that he is going, and he has structured his life in such a way that risk is not a problem, success is the only option.
I do not think that most people today are living their dreams (Chad is an exception, he is living his dreams). I believe this is because they get stopped by their fears. The risks they let paralyze them are not even legitimate risks, but instead simply trepidation of the unknown.
Here are a few tips to get from fear to success:
1. Examine your goals and life dreams. Can you articulate them? Do you know what success looks like? That is the first step.
2. What is stopping you from making those goals into reality? Are your road blocks real or just in your mind?
3. Is there a path to success that you can take that will lessen the risk? Can someone else help you get over the pitfalls?
4. Do you really want to live your dream? Is their a passion inside you to make it your reality?
5. Accept that risk is part of achievement. No pain, no gain.
6. Go for it. This is the hardest part.
I know it is not easy. I feel this pain of taking the steps necessary to achieve my life dream. But damn it, I am going to figure it out!
Have A Great Day.