Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Imagination

"There is a boundary to men's passions when they act from feelings; but none when they are under the influence of imagination" - Edmund Burke

Many people I know have "feelings" about the status of their careers. While these "feelings" may or may not be true, they believe them 100% without question.

Few people are true students of imagination. To look at a situation and not see things for what they are (or what you "feel" about it), but rather to view things for what they could be.

I wish I was more like that. I try.

I desire to look for more opportunity in my daily life. I believe that successful people are those who go beyond the here and now, ignore first impressions, and discover unique connections between unrelated items.

A friend recently questioned why I write this blog (or why I wrote my book). She could no value in the time commitment that I have made to share my pontifications on the subjects of business development, networking, marketing, sales, etc.... To her, since there is no immediate pay off, then it is a waste of time. She could only see things for the present and was unable to imagine the future.

Since she had no imagination, I told her to check back with me in a few years, and I would let her see how these things were a great investment of time. She just shrugged her shoulders. I on the other hand, I will dream, and dream BIG.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep on blogging Tom. Your words are not falling upon deaf ears.