Thursday, November 03, 2005

Be Creative - Day Four

Okay, I admit it. I am a fan of Donald Trump's "The Apprentice". For reality TV, the show is good. It makes me laugh, and I can relate to the characters. And for all his controversy, Trump knows how to make money, build businesses, and be creative!

As for Martha Stewart's "The Apprentice"....Yeah, not so much of a fan.

First, it is neither creative or original. It is just the same idea with a different host. Secondly, when Trump barks his "You're Fired".....it stings. When Stewart says "I don't think you fit in" it just lays flat. There is no passion, no spark, no creativity. And the letter she writes to the departing contestant is just goofy. (and I am the world's biggest proponent of handwritten notes).

But like any train wreck, I am compelled to watch. Without boring you in the details of last night's show, the two teams had to market a stain removing product for Tide on the streets of New York. One team was creative and the other team just made a lot of noise. The creative team won, the noisy team was just annoying (so much so that Stewart fired TWO contestants).

I could not get this out of my head as I was deciding what to write for the last day of my "Be Creative" series of posts. I think everyone should look at their business development, networking, marketing, PR and sales activities.

Are you being creative or just making noise???

If you are just out there squawking with no plan, it is time to step back and reassess your strategy. Much like the losing team on Martha's Apprentice...... those who are just out there making noise do occasionally get noticed, but in the end, the competition wins.

So be creative, but have a plan.

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

No comments: