Friday, November 25, 2005

5 Mile Run and I Did Not Die

A year ago today I set a goal of losing 30 pounds and running the "Turkey Trot" on Thanksgiving Day 2005.

I lost the weight by April, and have found that keeping the pounds off is just as much work as losing the weight in the first place. Maintaining the success is no easy task.

I have never been one to run (except to the refrigerator to get another beer and/or some ice cream). I did work out on a treadmill for the past year, but running a 5 K was another event altogether. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered on Tuesday that the "Turkey Trot" was NOT a 5K, but rather a 5 mile run.

Well I am happy to report that I did it. I almost ran the whole way (I did walk on some big hills). I am a big believer in setting a goal and working hard to achieve the results. While for many readers of this blog running five miles is not a big deal, for me it is HUGE.

And the weird part is that I enjoyed the whole thing. I even plan to run this race again next year and maybe a 5K in the spring. One friend told me that if you can run five miles you could train to run 26, so a marathon is not out of the picture. I doubt that, but I am happy that I completed a race before I turned forty.

So what is your goal???

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Tom! You and running are 2 words I never thought I would see in the same sentence.