Sunday, May 20, 2007

23 Reasons People Avoid Networking


Many people work very hard to justify their avoidance of networking. They spend all the time in the world trying to convince themselves that they do not need to develop a network of professional contacts that can and will refer business. They throw out ridiculous reasons as to why they do not have the time to dedicate to attending business events and then follow up with those they meet.

These people are like my ten year old daughter. I asked her to clean her bedroom, a job that should have taken ten minutes. Instead she complained and made up reasons to avoid getting to work for twenty minutes. The task took over a half hour because of all the excuses and whining. Once she got focused the results came fast.

The same is true in building your reputation in the business community. Below is a partial list of excuses I have heard from professional men and women over the years who were trying to avoid going to a business event or other networking function. As you read this list, ask yourself if these sound like rational and educated adults, or a ten year old girl who does not want to clean her room:

"Networking is a waste of time"

"Nobody you meet networking ever refers business"


"My industry is
different, that is not how I get clients"

"I am too busy"


"I hate networking"


"I am not comfortable in a large crowd"


"There are too many pushy sales people at networking events"

"I am too senior of an executive to network"

"I am too junior of an executive to network"


"I am only judged on my billable hours, not on my networking efforts"


"I have to get home to see my kids"

"You don't understand my situation"

"I am not good in a social situation"


"My wife/husband wont let me stay out after work"


"Networking is only for when you need new business"


"Cold calling is more effective"


"Clients will find me if I just work hard"


"Is my competition going to be there? If not I don't need to go"


"Is my
competition going to be there" If yes, I don't like to go to the same events they are at"

"I have had a busy week"


"I need to catch up on paper work"


"Other people in my office don't have to go to these networking events"

"Why is it always me who has to represent the firm?"


So do any of these excuses sound familiar? Do you recognize yourself making some of these excuses? All of the above are B.S. Make networking a priority and stop wasting time. Take action. Building a strong referral network will lead you to more opportunities and more success.
Have A Great Day.

thom
www.thomsinger.com

No comments: