Friday, January 06, 2012

Let It Go And Forgive

My blog posts here and here about "being a better person in the new year" sparked a couple of interesting conversations. I had a deep philosophical conversation with an acquaintance about what is "better" and did I mean "better than others"? (Ummm, no.  I meant better than my own self in thoughts and actions).  My whole purpose of utilizing "better" as a my goal word for 2012 is to spur myself forward.

I think each of us can improve in all the area of our lives.  We live in a crazy and busy world where the issue in front of us often can seem like the most important thing in the world.  People get caught up in their own stuff and allow frustration, anger, jealousy, competition, doubt, fear and a cornucopia of other emotions to take center stage.

Another conversation with a stranger in a Starbucks lead to the advise of stepping back and releasing your knee jerk reactions when in conflict (yes, I do talk to all kinds of people in random places).  He said, "To be a better person you have to learn to let go and forgive.  You never know what is happening in the other person's world, so it is best to not take their actions or words personally and forgive them for their stumbles". (No, my conversation partner was not a mystical monk, but his wise words have lingered in my mind).

It is good advice, but not as easy to put into practice.  Too often people are convinced that others are out to screw them over (which may or may not be true, but I have found that words and actions are not usually as targeted as one might think).   Taking a step back and remembering that when dealing with people we all come to the table with our own "stuff" allows us to find peace faster.

The Beatles said it best......"Let it Be".

Have A Great Day.

thom singer

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Yes. In general I would agree with you. However when you have a "serial" offender in your life, sometimes you have to totally let go and really not forget or else it will all happen again and again - and to the people you love.

But with the coffee queue - sure, let it be.