Sunday, November 06, 2011

Sekou Andrews - Motivational Poet


I had the pleasure to meet Sekou Andrews when we were both speaking at the Trade Show Network News (TSNN) T- Awards (a program that honors the nation's top Trade Shows and Events) in Washington DC.

I am a professional speaker who studies all things oratory.  I call it "Speaker's College" when I can watch anyone address an audience.  For over 14 years I have examined and learned from hundreds of speakers, but Sekou is like nothing I have ever seen before.

He calls himself a "Motivational Poet", and he regularly speaks to corporate audiences weaving his combination of rhymes, rhythms, and realism.  He goes beyond motivation and stirs the soul of those who are listening.  The man is "The Wizard of Words" and he had us all captivated as he spoke.

He challenges an audience to "expect not to expect what you expect to come next".

The message followed my "Conference Catalyst Program" and while 180 degrees different, it skyrocketed the theme of choosing people and being engaged in the real world, not just a collector of digital links. He professed that ROE (Return on Engagement) is the new ROI, and reminded the audience that "liking" someone on Facebook does not make a cyber friend --- as they still exist in the next room.

I loved it when he said "Take me off your Rolodex and put me in your calendar".  Pins dropping at that moment would have echoed all over the nations capital.  Having contact information means nothing if you do not have contact.

If you ever have the opportunity to hear the words of Sekou Andrews... you will be touched in your heart.  He is not a conventional public speaker, but an experience unto himself.  No wonder he has presented in the backyard at Oprah's house!

I look forward to our paths crossing again on another stage.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer
www.conferencecatalyst.com


1 comment:

Dave Lutz said...

Thom, I've heard that Sekou Andrews rocks. I'm looking forward to the day that I get to see him personally!

Hope thee TSNN awards was beneficial for you!