Friday, August 15, 2008

101 Personal and Professional Goals

I once heard Mark Victor Hansen, co-author of Chicken Soup for the Soul, tell an audience to spell out in writing 101 goals that they would like to accomplish in their lifetime.

While I was in the audience, and his talk was motivational, I did not scribble down 101 desires.

I am however a big believer in having written goals. Each year I spell out a few personal, professional and spiritual (soul goals) to strive for over the coming 12 months. I know that having these in front of me makes it easier for me to make the right choices when facing life. I can look back at all the mistakes I have made, and it is clear that in those moments I was not staying true to my life's goals and missions.

Having goals in your line of sight keeps you on track. Like the bumpers they put in the bowling lane gutters for small kids, goals keep you in the middle so you can knock down the pins.

Recently I decided to pick up a pen and spell out 101 things I want to do in my life. I have always found it easy in the New Year to write down a few key goals, but discovered that 101 is a very, very large number.

It has taken me a few months to get the list over 85, but I am now closing in on the end of my list. Since beginning of writing this list I have already had the opportunity to complete (or set in motion) items which I desire to accomplish.

Some of these goals are obvious, others are more far fetched.... but all are attainable in some manner over the next 50 years. Spending the time to uncover some random goals is a great way to help you figure things out and know what you find cool in the world.

I think you will be amazed by trying to create a list of 101 things you want to do in life. Maybe you will have an easy go of this task, or like me, maybe you will struggle to make sure that the things you write down are meaningful to you and your family.

Yes, one big random goal is I would like to be invited to spend the night in the Lincoln Bedroom of the White House. Now, I do not expect this to happen anytime soon, which means that an unknown future president will need to make the invite.... but I am confident that this COULD happen, so I just need to be on the outlook for the opportunity.

Have A Great Day.

And if you are ever elected to the presidency in the United States, remember me!

thom

No comments: