June 8th marks my 40th Birthday. Here are 41 pieces of advice that I have learned along the way:
41. Don't worry too much about what others think about you.
40. Everyone has an ego. Tread lightly as to not bruise them.
39. Nothing produces results as much as taking action.
38. Don't gossip. What you say will always find its way back to the person.
37. People do business with people they know and like.
36. Jealous and petty people are just part of life.
35. Say "please" and "thank you". It will make you stand out from the crowd.
34. When you need help, ask someone.
33. Having written goals is an important step you achieving your dreams.
32. Over using credit cards will stall your financial future.
31. A supportive spouse is worth her weight in gold, and then some.
30. A true friend is excited for you about any event that makes you happy.
29. True friends are rare and should be cherished.
28. No job is secure. Have a "plan B"
27. Always find the best in other people. Do not focus on their flaws.
26. You are not what you drive or what you wear. Do not judge others by their cars, clothes or zip code.
25. You are a "brand". No matter what you do it impacts your reputation.
24. Luck does not happen by accident.
23. Start saving money when you are young. 10% of your income should always go to your 401K.
22. Dedicate time to think about your future. Know what success looks like.
21. You cannot love your kids too much!
20. Treat everyone with respect. You never know when they might circle back into your life.
19. If you are not knowledgeable about wine...Don't fake it.
18. Be-friend your competitors.
17. Regardless of your political beliefs - attend a presidential inauguration once in your lifetime. The whole thing is very cool.
16. Find a mentor.
15. Be a mentor.
14. Staying physically fit gets harder as you get older. But do it anyway.
13. You do not have to be smart to be successful. Tenacity trumps intelligence.
12. Having a strong network of professional contacts is the best career safety net.
11. Read a lot of books, magazines, websites, blogs and newspapers. Knowledge is power.
10. Writing a book is hard work. Promoting a book is harder work.
9. Develop your public speaking skills. Join a Toastmasters group and participate actively for two years.
8. There is no substitute for integrity.
7. Have friends who challenge you to be a better person.
6. If you know someone who wrote a book, read it. The biggest compliment you can give an author is to read what they wrote.
5. Helping others always comes back to benefit you.
4. Find a good lawyer, accountant and banker before you need them.
3. Learn to cook.
2. Opportunities exist. You just have to look for them.
AND THE NUMBER ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED:
#1 - Those who have achieved REAL success in life (financially, emotionally and spiritually) will never criticize your dreams and aspirations. Instead they will look for ways to share their own experiences to help lift you up to higher levels. Successful people are rarely jealous and welcome the achievements of others.
As with all free advice....remember, you get what you pay for.
Have A Great Day.