Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Knowing It All

I am on a roll for reading great books. Yes, they are not business themed tomes, but none the less, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. You gotta have some fun, too.

Last week I wrote about Mike Greenberg's "Why My Wife Thinks I'm An Idiot". I actually wrote my review while only 1/3 into the book. You will be thrilled to know that the rest of the book was equally as entertaining.

This weekend I read (and finished) another ridiculously amusing book by A.J. Jacobs. His book, "The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest To Become The Smartest Person In The World" is more that great. I loved this book. I wish I could sit down and eat dinner at some New York City diner with this guy. If you do not usually read humor books, break that tradition and join A.J. for his adventure of reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica.

Yes, that is what he did. It took him more than a year (and most of his wife's pregnancy) to complete this task. The book takes you through the journey of this thirty-something's battle to gain knowledge.

I really liked everything about this guy and his book. Maybe I felt a kinship with him because of his stint on the TV Game Show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" (althougth I out-earned him with my two gameshow appearances by over twenty times!!!).

Treat yourself to one of the most pleasurable books you will ever read!!!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

2 comments:

Candidly Caroline said...

Came across your blog and wanted to say hi!

Andy said...

I noticed that you read The Know it All so I wanted to mention my blog, which I think you might like too. I was so inspired by Jacob's book that I have begun reading the Encyclopedia Britannica as well. I try to bring the same combination of trivia, life experiences, and humor to my blog. You can read it here: http://readingtheeb.com/blog/wordpress/

As far as eating dinner with Jacobs, I'm hoping if I finish the Encyclopedia too that he would be willing to hang out with me and shoot the breeze.