Tuesday, November 26, 2013

This is what "Busy" looks like in my world


In the last eight weeks I have been in a lot of places.  I enjoy my career as a speaker and trainer, and while the travel can be nutty at times.... it is also a lot of fun (and very rewarding).  I have had the chance to be with audiences large and small, and over the course of the past year I have presented 74 times for companies, law firms, and association/industry conferences.  

When I began this journey working for myself I wanted a full calendar of serving great clients.  I cannot complain, but I do now understand what it looks like to be at capacity.  If my whole year was scheduled like the past several weeks I could never maintain the pace.

I have also developed a stronger appreciation for people who are crazy busy (I mean really, really, nutty, nutty busy).  Many have moments where they cannot keep up with everything, and I am much more understanding in those times when others seemingly drop the ball (and / or I am not their immediate priority).  Being busy is a good thing, but there is a point where people can only do so much... and my vantage point of how others manage life in these times of overload has been adjusted.  I think this helps me as a business professional and gives me additional patience with others, and respect for the reality of their lives in many situations.

The real credit goes to my wife and kids -- who were amazing during this year's "busy season".  For our lives to run smoothly everyone has to be a participating member of the business team.  I try to make sure that all are part of the business, as I know that my being gone is not easy for anyone.  They make it all work and are so amazingly supportive of my career. 

Here is a short recap of places I have been to speak (or for other reasons) since October 1st:

San Antonio
Austin
Dallas
Hartford
New York
Washington DC
Austin
Boca Raton
Austin
Kansas City
San Jose
Seattle
Austin
Houston
Austin
Boston
Houston
San Antonio
Miami
Dallas

I am looking forward to a lighter schedule in December and some quality time with family and friends.... as it all starts over again in January.  I am excited about the new and repeat clients that are coming into my life in 2014.  My seat belt is fastened, it will be a wild ride.

Have A Great Day

thom singer



No comments: