Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The ABC's of Networking: W is for Wisdom

"One cannot have wisdom without living life" - Dorothy McCall

"It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things" - Henry David Thoreau

"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding." - Proverbs 4:7

Wisdom is more than knowledge.....wisdom is to objectively understand what you have learned and act accordingly. Entire books have been written on the subject of "wisdom", but in my opinion it comes down to good judgment and common sense.

When we are young many of us allow our enthusiasm to take control and our passions to be the lead. Most look back at youthful indiscretions where they acted or spoke in the heat of the moment and know they would respond differently in the present. While their position might have been correct, they ruined a relationship, friendship or their reputation because of their impetuous actions.

One of my favorite sayings is "Youth is wasted on the young". While I look back on the endless energy that filled my life, much of it was misdirected or totally unfocused. While I would love to have that chutzpa I had at 22.....and if I did I would be able to move mountains, I would not be where I am today without the trials and tribulations (and bad choices) that I encountered along my path. It has been all those experiences that have lead to understand of wisdom as something that is gained with maturity (limited as my own might be!).

Look closely at the three quotes that lead off this post. Think about how you have been changed by your experiences. Are you more seasoned today than you were a few years ago? I think most people would say "yes".

I suggest that you embrace wisdom, both your own and that of others in your network. The experiences of others can be as valuable to your own education as that of your own. That is why you should seek out and find a mentor who has lived the life you desire. While finding someone to be your mentor is not always easy, when you have a trusted advisor, your path to success can be much easier.

But not everyone becomes "wise" as the years go past. You need to learn to recognize those who have learned from their experiences (the good and the bad). Many allow their ego to cloud their judgments and never get past themselves. I think those who have real wisdom naturally give back to others in their community (see the quote from Proverbs!), and so should you.

It is not enough to have just existed. To be successful you must understand why!!!

Have A Great Day.

Thom Singer
www.thomsinger.com
thom@thomsinger.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great posts, Thom! The quotes are great (especially like the Proverbs) and I can only hope that I will grow in widsom each day so as to pass along a little of it to my children and, God willing, grandchildren. Thanks for sharing.