Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I have always loved St. Patrick's Day.  My mom was 100% Irish and her parents with both born in Ireland.  My middle name is Patrick. I am the youngest of 26 grandchildren in a family that loved any reason to celebrate (and drink a few beers together).  I sadly am not close to many of my cousins, but I do have fond memories of my childhood.

While my mom and most of her siblings are now gone, St. Patrick's day is an anchor that reminds me of this big extended family.  Little things like the Irish Soda Bread that my Aunts Catherine and Mary always made for special occasions come to mind (my mom was not quite the same level of baker as my aunts).  Fortunately my wife has perfectly captured the magic of Catherine's recipe.... so I am enjoying some Irish Soda Bread as I write this blog post!  I smile when I think of the good times.

In 2007 I was able to visit Ireland.  We found the city where my grandfather grew up and the church he was baptized.  I loved our time in Ireland, and would love to return for an extended stay.  I am always seeking opportunities to work with a client in Ireland, but have not yet found the right opportunity.  It is one place on earth I know I will return to again.

Regardless of your ancestry it is said that on this day everyone is Irish.  Enjoy the day.

***OH, I gave up alcohol for Lent, and thus I will not be enjoying that Guinness this year!!  Of course last year I went vegan for Lent, and thus could not have any Corned Beef.

Have A Great Day.

T. Patrick Singer


1 comment:

Leslie M said...

Reach out to those cousins the same way you do people in your network!

This post inspired me to do so.