Saturday, May 09, 2015

There Is No App For Real Life



Everyone is on a journey, regardless of if they realize it or not.  

Being the person in charge of your own life is hard work, and requires considerable attention, or you will just drift about responding to the actions of others.  A boat without sails, oars or an anchor tends to get pushed around by the tide.
"If you do not design your own plan in life - chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan.  And guess what they have planned for you?  NOT MUCH"  - Jim Rohn
Running my own solopreneur business for six years has been a great experience.  I like the independence and the freedom, but still struggle with the ups and downs from income fluctuation and uncertainty.  It is hard to keep up with all the moving parts, and sometimes things fall apart or I feel overwhelmed.  Over time I am getting used to the flow of being a solo-business professional, and I tend to not get as stressed out as I did a few years ago.  I have a plan, and I know where my journey is headed.

On the personal front there is always so much going on that I rarely feel I have mastered the art of enjoying down-time.  Don't get me wrong, I desire relaxation as much as the next person, but my brain keeps pumping out ideas and reminding me of the ever-growing "to-do list".  The ability to escape from the reality is allusive.  There is so much to get done that the stress can be a real factor.

Those who master success, both in their personal and professional lives, are the ones who can keep focused and calm.  They are content with the journey and the destination. 

My dad recommended being "slow to anger, and fast to forgive".  This is good advice, as it seems in our pressure filled society people are always pissed about something.  They focus anger at others in a way to feel better about their own life.  I am sick and tired of those who are angry at someone or something all the time (anyone with me on this one?).

In our social media crazy world it is easy to disconnect from the human relationships that matter the most.  A like, link, share or follow is not really a relationship.  We have replaced conversation with instagram posts.  The key to success is the people you associate with, and having real friendships with people who care can make your whole journey a much better adventure.  There is no app for real life friendships.

Some of the people I talk with are not feeling they are surrounded by enough supportive and caring friends or business associates.  I am also finding that as we get older it becomes more difficult to establish new friendships.  People are set in their ways, and are too busy to invest in new connections.  Effort is needed to make, grow and keep your relationships.  To make a friend you first have to be a friend.  And this is a commitment.

In an effort to cultivate the human connections, try to find ways to reach out to others and encourage them.  People don't care about your goals, they care about their own goals.  Do you even know what the people around you want to accomplish?  I know that some of those closest to me assume they understand my motivations, but they really have no clue (because they never ask).  I am working to ask more questions about what others want.

This journey of life is hard. Develop a plan and find the right people to help you along the way. And have some fun, too.

Have A Great Day

thom singer

No comments: