Saturday, February 11, 2012

TEDx Austin 2012


The 2012 TEDx Austin Event, "Beyond Measure" was a powerful experience.  This was the third year that Austin hosted a TEDx event, and to quote the old cliche, "the third time's a charm".

Each aspect of the program: the presentations, decor, food, musical entertainment, and hands on interaction -- all were designed to touch and inspire the soul.  Mission Accomplished!

What is TEDx? In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience.

The Austin organizers have worked hard to create a program that rivals all events.  14 speakers filled the day with their stories, ideas, and thought-provoking points of view.  The committee is worthy of all the praise they have received on their efforts.  Job well done!

But like all conferences, the real impact of the event was in the "Hallway Conversations".  As I have written about before, it is the people (those you know, and those you meet) with whom you share the ideas from the stage that really impacts the learning experience. We often forget that the networking breaks are about more than just chatting and trading business cards (or scanning QR Codes on nametags!), it is where we process the information and learn many "best practices".

I saw many friends, but I did not meet nearly enough new people (the audience was an amazing eclectic collection of Austin's most interesting citizens), except at the lunch.  The design and execution of the dining experience cultivated the opportunity to encounter others, and it was a highlight of the day!  The meal was delicious and those at my table all had inspiring stories of their own journeys. Wow!

To quote a comment by my friend Eugene Sepulveda, "Really? Only the third year? Feels like many more. In a good way". He is right, it seems as thought there has always been TEDx in Austin (I attended the first year, but was out of town in 2011).  I look forward to the future.

Have A Great Day.

thom singer


1 comment:

thomsinger said...

My mind is still processing the information and ideas at TEDxAustin 2012.

I plan to write a post about the messages received from being present at the event once I have a full understanding of what I experienced.

I do know that people (myself included) often make much ado about things that have little consequence in our lives, our businesses, our communities, our society, and our souls. A little perspective can go a long way!